Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Poem: Combine Crewcut

Last week, as I was driving, I happened to pass a combine cutting corn from a field. It looked for all the world as if the combine was trimming the cornfield's hair! It inspired me to write this poem:

Combine Crewcut
The cornfield got a crewcut
Tall stalks trimmed by combine clippers
Taking some off the sides, the back, the front
Leaving a stubble of stalk stumps.


Except, in one forgotten spot,
A place where two scraggly stalks
Stick up, cowlick straight, toward the sky...


The cornfield got a crewcut
New hairstyle for the fall.

What do you think? Have you ever seen a cornfield, a lawn, or a meadow being mowed? Can you imagine thinking about it like a haircut?

2 comments:

  1. I really like this poem. its very intresting and infoming what you saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem...Its very intresting of what yu put and who you wrote it.It made me visualize it .it my head.
    -

    ReplyDelete